7th – 15th July 2018;
10 am - 1 pm; 3 pm - 6 pm;
Price: 504 € - basic materials and shared accommodation included;
Meals are excluded. You can either bring your own or enjoy a light meal at cafe da Videira;
For ceramicists, sculptors and artists;
7 – 12 people.
Renato Costa e Silva
Ceramicist and Sculptor
Renato Costa e Silva, ceramicist and sculptor, with 40 years of professional activity has a vast curriculum not only in the area of ceramics but also of large public sculpture in various materials.
Born in Angra do Heroísmo, Azores, where he lives and works, he has carried out an intensive study of clay and ceramic materials and has a long experience in the preparation of ceramic pastes and glazes. Over the years he has conducted hundreds of woodfirings.
Has a Fine Arts degree and studied wood carving and sculpture in her home country, Germany. Once in Portugal, she studied Portuguese Language and Culture at the Language Faculty of the University of Coimbra were she also studied social sciences. With a preference for noble woods, her work is inspired by rural life and the expressiveness of the human face. Co-founder of the Cerdeira Village project, she divides her time between her art practice and her work as coordinator of the village's Artistic Residencies Program. She has been living in Cerdeira since 1988.
- Awakening the imagination - From the expanding universe to the nature of the imagined;
- From thought to matter - The personal universe and the choice of relevant elements to conceive individual projects;
- Clay as a receptor of emotions - From physical structure and chemical composition to ceramic pastes for sculpture; Composition, experimentation and preparation of pastes;
17th and 18th
- Working on personal projects;
- Introduction to woodfiring - processes, history and results. Ceramic's transformation during firing and how to control the process;
- Loading the kiln;
- Start the woodfiring in the SASUKENEI – Smokless kiln;
- Cooling of the kiln;
- Hike with observation of clays in the local soil;
- Opening the kiln - appreciation and interpretation of the results.
Renato Costa e Silva always takes us to the center of all inquiry, and in this course he shares his vast knowledge about sculpture and ceramics with us. To study and work under the guidance of this artist is a unique opportunity to gain a deep knowledge about ceramics.
If you decide to stay in one of our houses you will enjoy a 10% discount.
10% early bird discount if you sign up 3 months before.
Group meals can also be ordered.